8

BOOK HUNGRY: A Twitter Book Club -- Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

Posted by Elizabeth Ryann on 10:37 AM in , , , , , ,
This month's selection was Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go.  I didn't read it.  I didn't even start it.  I had good intentions since I've missed out on several of the last few books, which I do intend to catch up on, but once my book club started reading it and the incredibly "meh" reactions started pouring in... I had a hard time finding the motivation to pick the book up.  I'm already operating from the disadvantage of having a hard time reading a book that's been recommended to me over one that I choose, which I believe I've mentioned as a weird personal issue before.

So instead, here's a few of the books I've read in the last month (beginning on 12/20), all of which I'd be happy to discuss: Sarah Mayberry's The Best Laid Plans (because a friend on GoodReads really seems impressed with her), Eloisa James's Storming The Castle and The Lady Most Likely (with Julia Quinn and Connie Brockway), Meg Cabot's Jinx and Twilight (Mediator Series #6) (because I LOVE her blog and realized I don't read enough of her books), Lora Leigh's The Breed Next Door, Ava Gray's Skin Heat, Jo Davis's Ride The Fire, Kait Nolan's Forsaken By Shadow, Kristine Kathryn Rusch's Domestic Magic, Sara Gruen's Water For Elephants (I really wanted to read this one before the movie came out), Amanda Hocking's Ascend (Trylle Trilogy #3), Marjorie M. Liu's A Wild Light (Hunter Kiss Series #3), Susan Elizabeth Phillips' Call Me Irresistible, and Karen Marie Moning's Shadowfever (Fever Series #5).

As you can see, my preferred method of procrastinating is reading.  And the more I procrastinate, the more I read.

But next month's book is 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher, which I actually do want to read, so I hope I'll be better about doing my homework.  Cross your fingers for me!  I'd appreciate it.

|

8 Comments


fingers crossed for you Elizabeth :)


Like you I chose to expound upon something that I actually did enjoy reading. This one, just didn't do it for me.

Oh, and I got my fingers crossed for you too!


This comment has been removed by the author.

ha ha. i did the same thing. i put in a list of books i read (and would rather talk about) instead of NEVER LET ME GO.

you have to read next month's on schedule because this is me recommending it to you. oh wait, you don't like recommendations. well then, this is YOU choosing to read it.


LOL! It takes guts to admit you never even started it. ;)


Thanks, gals!

Abby, that was pretty tricky. I think you got me.

Linda, it's true. I'm pretty badass. :D


I haven't read a single book on your list. I hope you know that I'm surreptitiously copying all of them down in order to add them to my own To Be Read pile. :D


This book was an absolutely devastating read. I knew after the first or second chapter exactly what the "reveal" was, but it isn't a story meant to conclude when you learn what happens behind the curtain.
It also isn't science fiction, which, upon learning the substance of what challenges the characters, one would assume it to be. It's hard to pigeon-hole it as anything definite - neither political, dramatic, etc; it seems, instead, to explore a number of themes. The story itself has a life and no life can really be explained away as being mono-thematic.

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2009 Elizabeth Ryann All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.